1. Lighting is key when it comes to foundation. If you don’t have great lighting in your room, try using a mirror with a light.
2. If you’re not sure what your shade is, ask for samples at the store.
3. Find your match by testing it on your chest not your jawline, arm or neck.
4. Before you pick a shade, get to know your skin’s undertone.
5. As well as undertones, figure out your skin type.
6. Once you know your skin type, you’ll be able to perfect your skin care routine, which gives you FLAWLESS coverage.
7. OK, so this is a lot of information, but before you take the plunge, you need to decide on a finish.
8. Start out by dabbing, not rubbing in the foundation.
9. If you prefer a brush over a sponge, choose a kabuki or a buffing brush over a paddle brush for easier blending.
11. While concealer works on many different areas, start out by adding some under your eyes to eliminate shadows.
12. Here’s a simple visual on putting all those steps together:
13. If your foundation is too dark for your skin tone, try adding some moisturizer to lighten it before throwing it out.
14. To prevent runny streaks, apply setting powder after you’ve finished blending in your foundation.
15. If you can’t afford the holy grail versions of foundation makeup, give these top-rated dupes a chance.
16. Once you’re low on foundation, you can squeeze the last bits out by removing the inner lid around the bottle.
17. Now that you’re done applying foundation, carry on with concealer, bronzer, and highlighter to make that face POP.